This week we focused on storytelling. Creating an objective and conflict in a one minute animatic.
Hristo made a storyboard on the same day the task was set which was brilliant. We all just wanted to get stuck into creating the animatic as soon as possible. All of us collaborated on changing or adding shots throughout if they did not work with the chase sequence.
Mike gave us some tips on what to change before we presented it the following week.
- Western Film characters have different soundtracks to accompany them onscreen – increased conflict.
- Give the protagonist an egg. Give the ants an objective, a reason for the chase sequence.
- Some 180 degree rule related issues on shots.
- Bird’s eye shots do not reveal a horizon line.
Below is our first animatic:
Ryan Woodward – Referenced in class. We agreed on using the style of his animatics but as we began drawing, the shots became more and more refined and less sketchy. I am presuming this was because we had a one minute scene to complete in a week so we had that privilege to clean up our drawings.
Below are the frames/templates I drew for the animatic. Hristo’s sponge model vehicle and initial template aided me in drawing my own angles and template for the vehicle.
We kept the original designs of the vehicle, ant and character from previous groups.
Our choices on who did what were based on the shots people wanted to do instead of separating the animatic in four sections. Therefore, the animatic style appears somewhat seamless and the slight variations on drawing styles across all of us are unnoticeable.
I am proud of my group this week. I have made animated shorts in school, but never worked on animation (animatic) with a group. I would always find my screenplays to be too ambitious for only myself to complete within a few months.
Working as a group we completed a refined one minute animatic in a little less than week, which would have taken myself far longer. That’s pretty cool.